Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Every Dog Lover Should Know

Can Dogs Eat Grapes
There are certain things which are not good for pets like chocolate grapes etc.

Michael one day returned home from the office in the evening and found his dog lying on the floor unconsciously Later he found that he was in deep trouble. Michael rushed his dog Bruno to a veterinary hospital, under the intense care for around 40 hr the doctor dispatched him but told to take a special care of him in the home. Bruno’s kidney was severely affected by eating grapes which Michael left open in his kitchen.

All kind of grapes are toxic and bad for dogs whether it is green, red, commercially grown or wild grapes which grow in your backyards. The source of toxicity in these grapes are still unknown. Some believe that toxicity is in its seed while others believe that it is in its flesh.

How Toxic are Grapes for Dogs?

The expert believes that the amount of grapes that can hurt a dog is variable and is dependent on the dog’s weight.

It is believed that the dangerous amount of grapes starts with 0.18 ounce of grapes per pound of dog weight. So for a dog of 20 pounds, 3.6 ounces of grapes can be fatal.

Cases have occurred when a dog ate around one pound of grapes and survived while 3 to 4 pieces of grapes have damaged kidney which ultimately caused death. The reason why some dogs are more affected than others is still a topic of research but one thing is sure grapes causes severe kidney damage leading to acute kidney failure with lack of urine production.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes Essential Guide

Signs and Symptoms of Grapes Poisoning in Dogs

If you see the following signs & symptoms in your dog then must visit a veterinary hospital as it is may be due to grape toxicity.

  • Frequent vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactivity
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetites
  • Breathing difficulty
  • Tremors
  • Dehydration
  • Death is also possible depending on the amount consumed and the time elapsed.

Death is not instantaneous because it takes time to absorb grapes to the body. slowly its toxic affect effect kidney first and then other parts.

Why Your Dog Should NEVER Eat Grapes?

Must watch this video and get to know the terrifying reason “Why your dog should never ever eat grapes.

Must Read: Dog Feeding Chart and Requirements

Immediate Treatment & Recovery from Grapes Poisoning in Dogs

If you are sure that your dog has eaten grapes then visit an animal doctor as soon as possible.

Poisonous effect of grapes starts with the absorption of toxins in the body so if possible try to make your dog vomit. This is more desirable if lesser time has passed. Suppose your dog has eaten grapes at 2 pm and if you make him vomit before 4 pm then the effect of grapes can be considerably reduced.

A small meal can facilitate vomiting but it is not necessary that a dog will eat the meal. Avoid vomit if he is unconscious or is facing problem in breathing.

Take one millimeter of ‘hydrogen peroxide’ and pour it into the dog’s throat through the syringe. You can increase the dosage up to 45 ml depending on the dog size. Hydrogen peroxide can make him vomit. If it doesn’t show any effect try again but after 15 min. If still there is no effect then don’t repeat it but try some alternate method.

Even if you take him to an animal doctor he will also try to make him vomit and if not then they will flush out the toxic material from their stomach or other body parts. Meanwhile, medicines make the kidney to work properly.

So if you are dog lover try to keep resins and grapes out of the reach of the animals.