No pet owner wants his/her pet to catch a stomach virus from them and some symptoms have left people thinking that their dog can get a stomach virus from them, and this has led to people asking different questions, and a lot of people want to know if a dog can catch a stomach virus from a human, but is it possible? Can a dog catch a stomach virus from a human? This is a question that leaves everyone confused, there’s an answer but let’s start with the basics.
Can Dogs Get a Stomach Virus?
Yes! dogs can get a stomach virus, but you will have to check your dog carefully for symptoms to know if your dog is suffering from a stomach virus, here are some symptoms that you should check for:-
- A low-grade fever should be expected
- Vomit that contains yellowish and foamy bile
- Reduced appetite
- He/she will be less active
- Often vomiting and diarrhea
- Excessive gagging and heaving after drinking or eating
Can A Dog Get a Stomach Virus from a Human?
Norovirus can be a common cause of stomach flu amongst humans, and this virus has been known to be contagious so it sounds possible for a dog to catch a stomach virus from a human, but it is NOT possible for a dog to catch a stomach virus from people. Dogs can get a virus, if the gastrointestinal system of the dog is affected, but can’t pick up the norovirus that causes stomach flu in humans.
Gastroenteritis and How It Affects Dogs
Gastroenteritis is known as the term used to classify the inflammation of the common gastrointestinal tract in dogs when the gastroenteritis tract of a dog or pet is inflamed then a dog can suffer from a stomach virus, and this is usually accompanied by:-
- Blood in Vomit
- Blood in Feces
Stomach Virus Treatment for Dogs
Stomach infections in a dog can be as a result of an inflamed gastrointestinal tract. Here are some common ways to treat your dog that is suffering from a stomach virus.
- Antibiotics can be used in a severe case or in the case of a bacterial infection.
- A bland diet can be fed in small proportions
- Water and food should be withheld and slowly introduced after the first stages.
- Antidiarrheal drugs or agents may be administered, but this should be done properly in order not to disrupt the treatment process.
The Gastrointestinal of some dogs can be inflamed easily while some dogs are resistant to stomach viruses, it is good to know that a dog can not get a stomach virus from a human but it is always important to be careful as this may lead to other things, take the necessary precautions needed and you’ll have a healthy dog always!